Requests for Letters of Recommendation (Private Colleges & Scholarships)
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATIONS: The UC's and CSU's DO NOT Require Letters of Recommendations.
All requests for letters of recommendation should be done in person. The counselors complete the Secondary School Report which includes a letter of recommendation.
- Completed Student Profile (AHS Student Profile for College Admissions Letters of Recommendation)
- Optional Parent Evaluation (included in the Student Profile)
- Copy of Student's application essay or personal statement
- Copy of Student's resume
- Any deadlines or specific required information requested in the college or scholarship application
- For electronic recommendations, the online link (for example Common App, Sendedu, Universal App, school specific website, etc.)
- Stamped, addressed envelopes if recommendations will not be submitted on-line
Each teacher has his or her own policy regarding letters of recommendation. Check with the teacher first.
Teachers may require:
- Teacher recommendation form (download from www.commonapp.org)
- Unofficial transcript, test scores if requested by teacher
- If the teacher is sending letters on paper through the mail, provide stamped, addressed envelopes for each college and the Teacher Evaluation Form that is part of the application. (download from www.commonapp.org )
- Any deadlines or specific required information requested in the college or scholarship application.
Deadlines for Counselor Letters of Recommendation Requests/Packet Submission:
- Early Decision: October 1
- Regular Decision: November 1
The absolute and final deadline to submit a packet is November 1st. Packets will not be accepted after that date. Counselors will NOT write letters of recommendation as part of the Secondary School Report for any student who submits their information after November 1.